Tuesday, July 23, 2013

4 - Between the Minutes: Finding Meaning


Life moves all too quickly nowadays. Every time I look up, it is already Friday and the weekend is coming up. And, every weekend, I stop for a second from my weekend duties and it is already Monday, the start of the week. I wonder what the mirror will tell me if I dare to dwell before it just a bit too long. Somewhere in between all the comings and goings, I try to find the meaning of life and what I am really doing each day.

Stop between the minutes. Observe and take a picture of that moment. Study that picture. What is it telling you?

There is so much that goes on inside of us. With the rush, rush of life, where do we find the time to write about it or speak about it? We speak in “twitter-speak” when we do communicate. Or we speak in “text-speak” when we talk to anyone. We are in a rush, rush, rush, yet we have our cell phones glued to our ears. What keeps us so busy I wonder and yet with no time to dwell on meaning?


When we do speak about something important and we do so in detail, setting up the scene and adding details and texture, people get that glassy-eyed look telling us in essence to “Stop”. When I write, I do so in detail and have been accused of writing too much, too long, “why don’t you get to the point already”? Click, and the page is gone; “send” and the message is gone…we lose so much of our rhythm and style and story when we rush around so much.

Someone asked me at the start of the year, “So Gita, what is it exactly that you do every day at TSG”? I wondered if I could say it in a few “twitter-speak” words.

“Do you want a short or long answer”….

“Well, just tell me....” OK, here it goes….

The short answer is “I read all day.”

The long answer, well, if you have time, I will tell you.…

So I started to write about what I do every day, focusing only on one segment of it at a time and found myself unable to make it shorter than “I read all day.” If more details are needed, then the questioner has to be willing to read too in order to understand what it is that I do all day.

How do I explain that I read every day; I correspond with people everyday; I plan every day where we are going and how we are getting there. I have to prioritize what we do according to our resources, always keeping in mind the target as well as the context of my work. At the meantime, for my own inner wellness, I find meaning. To find meaning, I have to stop and ponder and ask: What does it all mean? How do I feel? What are its implications? Can I communicate the deep meaning of the work to you, the reader? Can I inspire you to search for meaning and take the time to find it, cultivate it, share it?

So in order to make what I call a “civilized response” I wrote and wrote and wrote. Then I decided to organize the answer into little summaries and post them as blogs. Then I decided to compile them together and present a Quarterly summary to our Board of Directors, friends and co-workers. Then the Quarter got away from me and, as the pieces multiplied, I decided to put all the sections into one six-month summary and then I had to make myself stop. I saw that the work is outer…reading and managing; and the work is inner…thinking, responding, pondering, finding meaning. The inner feelings are not easily translatable. The outer movements are easy to document. But what do they mean? What does it mean to read everyday, index, proof, publish, decide what goes where and so on?

But I always have lots to say, so no apologies needed otherwise you would not be reading this material! That is the philosopher in me and I like to share what I philosophize internally about. How else would we share in that very human experience that we all experience: how something is seen, interpreted, and told? How our experiences become paintings, novels, stories, biographies, histories, plays and symphonies, and even a business, a profession? Each of these is telling the story of a person, a moment in the life of a human being, the whisperings of a heart that paused and took notice, an insight that became wisdom for others. We all have stories within the story of our life. Our hearts hold the story that no one hears from us. We whisper it and wonder if anyone really understands.

A friend once called me the “romantic esotericist.” I wondered about that for a long time. Yes, that is what I am. I am a romantic, not just in the sentimental sense of romance, but also in the sense of knowing that things are possible and doable, despite what it looks like on the outside. A romantic believes in the human spirit and its capacity for growth and change. An esotericist is someone who studies and learns about the non-physical dimensions of life and is not happy with discovering just one level but keeps digging to see what else there is in the universe that explains life. I am therefore, happily both of these. Romantic people like to express and express. That is what I do indeed as I search for the meanings between the frozen minutes.

So, if you want to see a little bit of my daily work, take a look at our 12-page summary, yes, summary of our work for the first six monthsof 2013. I am happy to say this gives a little part of the picture of the one section of our work, and that is the production section. There are other components of course to my daily work, but that is for another time. History is written in segments and in layers.

This writing is not the shortened into “text-message”; it is rich in detail and wordy. How can any of our lives be shrunk to just a few words? We sell ourselves short if we think it can.

Here is the link to the entire document….and you can read it in segments or any way that you want, provided you have the time?


Enjoy!

Gita
___________________

- See the 1st Six Months of 2013 PDF online to read it in its entirety.
- Gita Saraydarian is the Founder and President of TSG Foundation.
- Visit Gita on YouTube for monthly Wisdom of the Zodiac classes and guided meditation.

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Gita Saraydarian
Founder and President of TSG Foundation, home of Torkom Saraydarian's creative works.
Learn more:
gitasaraydarian.org
tsgfoundation.org
Gita on YouTube
torkomsaraydarian.blog.blogspot.com
View my complete profile

Followers